FitnessJournal  
welcome take a tour prices join testimonials FAQs discussions corporate wellness contact us
Discussions > Events > Cycling

Topic: 2007 Tour De Tahoe - (70 plus miles around the lake)
Jim
CA

Total Posts: 640
7.0 Years Ago

Any FJ'ers going to do this one?? We have a local group of at least 6-7 riders heading up.

This ride has some of the best scenery around.

Also - THE FJ MOBILE WILL BE THERE.

Keep an eye out for it, and stop by and say hi if you have a chance.

Jim C#2

Re: 2007 Tour De Tahoe - (70 plus miles around the lake)
Gerry
CA

Total Posts: 270
7.0 Years Ago

Are there any hills?

Jim
CA

7.0 Years Ago

2 hills that could be called climbs and several hills that are rollers.

Gerry, based on your biking miles, you can do this. However, if you haven't already signed up, you may have to wait until the August Tour.

Beautiful ride!

Jim
CA

7.0 Years Ago

Eric - it is a great event.

If any FJers come to this, look for the FJ Mobile and stop by and say hello. We should be parked in the Horizon Hotel parking lot. You can see a picture of the FJ Mobile on the home site before logging in.

JC#2

Chris
NH

Total Posts: 852
7.0 Years Ago

The fitness journal mobile and a few FJ members will be participating at the 2007 Tour De Tahoe this weekend. If you are in the area, please flag us down and say hello!

Re: 2007 Tour De Tahoe - Update
Jim
CA

7.0 Years Ago

What a great weekend...

Some how I ended up with a Moutain Biking trip scheduled on the same weekend as the Tahoe ride. So, what's a guy to do??? BOTH!

For those who may not be familiar, Downieville, California was the home of the mountain bike downhill chapionships for a few years. It is a real small town in a steep canyon with the Yuba River running right through the town. Pine trees fill the V shaped valley.

Friday we drove up Tom, Rob, Jason, Aaron and of course me. We were gitty and ambitious. We stopped to find out what time the shuttles run. (The shuttles bring you up to "Packer's Saddle" - the top of the watershed we will go down. The town is at about 2,800ft, Packer's saddle is at about 7,000ft. We were counting on 2 runs - We would ride up, bomb down, and take a shuttle up.

We left our campground and started climbing. From about 3,000ft to 7,000ft on a hot day. By the time we hit the top, about 3 hours later including breaks, 3 of the 5 of us were completely out of water. We had covered 14 miles with 4,000ft and we were beat. Now the downhill, no time to rest this is a technical drop down butcher creek, it is a white knuckler. Accross a bridge and Jason says the gal in the shop suggested we take 2nd divide.

2nd divide is 2 miles longer than 3rd divide and has more climbing in it. We are now onto hour 4.5 and no water for the last 1.5. A few of us are bonking bad, finding it hard to fucus on the narrow trail. We were cursing both Jason and the girl in the shop who suggested this route. It became every man for himself. We all just decided to meet in the shuttle lounge. I was third down, went straight to the hose and filled 3 water bottles and drank them all in 10 minutes.

Oh - needless to say no second run that day, we were 2 hours behind our planned arrival time and missed the shuttles.

Day 2 - Saturday - We slept in and ate a breakfast that had everything - Breakfast burritos, eggs, bacon, oatmeal, pastries, fruit, and pancakes. This was not just the choices, this is what we all ate. We caught the 11:30 shuttle - I needed to get down and out of there to meet the FJ Mobile in South Lake Tahoe for registration.

We were dropped off by the shuttle and started picking our way to a new trail. We came to a junction straight or left. We went left (Whoops). We came to another juntion, we decided to go right. Down down down - DEAD END! To steep to ride up, so we carry our bikes up. OK - Let's try left. Down, down, down - Butcher Trail (We did this yesterday.) Back up again. Straight? NO dead end. OK - Back to where we turned left and go straight this time. Needless to say, this meant more climbing.

Finally we find the Polly Creek trail and get to go down "baby heads". Aptly named by the boulders that litter the trail that are the size of baby heads. The trail was incredible, some of the most beautiful single track I have ever seen, and long too. we eventually hooked back up with Butcher, but I am already beyond my leave time, and we are not even down yet. We cross a bridge and take a nice dip in the fridged creek.

This time we went Third divide, again an excellent trail. Loads of fun and jumps. Then to 1st divide, which we skipped the previous day. This winds along a cliff above Polly Creek. So far we are all well, no major falls. Then Tom gets a pinch flat, front tire goes down immediately, and as I round the corner, I hear and see somthing falling down the hill side. As I get up there, I see Tom laying on his back a solid 15ft down hill and his bike another 10 yds beyond that. Very lucky man - hurting, but nothing broke.

So, 4 of us are heading back, one started back earlier. We hit the streets of this little town, and all of a sudden the 13 year old in us starts coming out. We start racing up and down hills, pulling on each other, pushing one another. Then I see my life flash. I have Tom's rear tire and we are left. Jason and Aaron are to the right of us. They see the car speeding around the corner before we do. Tom and I are looking down, Tom Swings right, hits my front tire and I start to fall left, into the grill of the Jeep Cherokee. The Jeep lock up the tires and dives as far right as they can go. I some how manage not to go over, and steer hard back into Tom's tire. Phew! I could easily have been under his tire.

We get down, I jump in my car and take off for Tahoe. There is no way I will make it to the Registration. What to do? Call Brian in the Fitness Journal Mobile. They happen to be just pulling out of the Reg parking lot. They set me up nicely woth the registration. We had a great crew for Tahoe - Chris, Brian, me, John, Scott, Sarah, Matt, Tim, and Pat. That night, we had a huge pasta feed and plenty of beer set up. Thanks to all for the great food and beer.

We set out at 7:15. when we did this ride in September it was 29 or so, and we were all cold. This year... Perfect. I realize early on that all the time on the Mtn Boke burnt my legs. The first hill I fall way back. We climbed up to Emerald Bay. This climb rewards you with an incredible down hill. I saw 44+ at one time, but later determined that the max was 46mph. They had that section of the road closed, but you still had to be careful because Team in Training was there from all over the U.S., and they had a few support vehicles out.

From that point I was baby sat by Tim around about 1/5 of the lake as I kept dropping and he kept picking me up. I could help from time to time, but the slightest up hill, Tim would come around and help me again.

After lunch in Kings Beach 7 of the 9 regrouped and set a great pace line up to the final climb. Spooner Bay. After that climb, which was much easier than in September, we got the down hill and rollers back to South Shore. The bikes pretty much took up the entire 1st lane of the 2 lane HWY 50.

Once back at the FJ, we pull out the cooler and crash on the lawn with some beers. It's over... Wait, not yet. Brian and Chris' family are at the finish line waiting for us. They have chalked all our names, we have been back for 30 minutes and they are waiting for us 200 yds down the road. we put away the beer, and ride down to them. Hardly a sprint. The kids were soo happy, and they had excellent ary work.

We all worked hard and got around the 72 mile lake in 3:50 to 4 hours. We had a pretty good pace especially with the amount of elevation gains, and being at 6,000Ft elevation.

Keep you eyes open for some photos.

Hope you can make it next year.

JC#2

Chris
NH

Total Posts: 852
7.0 Years Ago

Here is a picture from Tahoe after our ride. There were a bunch of us there with cameras, so lets see some pictures! What outstanding weather!

[+] enlarge

Jim
CA

7.0 Years Ago

Here's a link to some more pictures from the 2007 Tahoe "America's Most Beautiful" ride.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/strejo/sets/72157600315881401/

I'm the taller one in the group shots.

More shots of the previous days in Downieville, before heading to Tahoe.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jsutter11/Downieville61307

JC#2

Gerry
CA

6.9 Years Ago

Great story and pictures... Thanks for sharing....

g

Jim
CA

6.9 Years Ago

JC#1 - Seems like you are ready for a Cali trip. Perhaps after the Tri season. I believe the mountain is open to mi October if the snow holds off.

Gerry - Next year you have to come to Tahoe! I thought about you driving through Sac on the way up and back down.

JC#2

Gerry
CA

6.9 Years Ago

Jim

We have to hook up... I worked (Bike Marshal) the Don Bowden Mile in Stockton on Sunday... he was the first American to do the sub 4 minute mile... nice old guy at 70 something.

Man I looked at the pix and thought, next year!!!! This sunday I work the women's 10 k here in Sac... off a weekend and then do the Shriners... all great events for FJ.

I also have a big role in the California International Marathon where it would be cool to get the FJ Van over here. Just thinking.... I am responsible for closing the course in front of the runners...it'd be cool to have the FJ van closing the course ahead of the runners.. as opposed to my 92 Chevy Blazer.......

It'd be be cool to have it here for Eppie's triathlon

Jeez, where will it stop? I see nothing but opportunities,

gerry

Re: 2007 America's Most Bea...- (70 plus miles around the lake)
Jim
CA

6.9 Years Ago

Hey Melanie - I put in the wrong name. We did the "America's most beatiful Ride" with you. That was the trip. I was just to lazy to change it. Sorry we missed you.

This was way better than the 2006 Tour de Tahoe later in the year. We FROOZE in barely 30 degree weather for the first hour.

The June ride was the BEST! So we are not likely to do the Tour de Tahoe again.

The local group is also talking about doing the Tour de Napa Valley, the Knoocti Century and the Marin century.

Let us know if you will be at any of those.

JC#2 - perhaps we will see you in 08.

join fitness journal

corporate wellness

quicktime tour

contact us privacy statement terms of service sitemap recent press   © 2019 FitnessJournal, all rights reserved.
FitnessJournal and the FitnessJournal logo are among the trademarks or registered trademarks owned or licensed to FitnessJournal.
All other brand and product names are or may be trademarks of, and are used to identify products or service of, their respective owners.