FitnessJournal  
welcome take a tour prices join testimonials FAQs discussions corporate wellness contact us
Discussions > Events > Marathons

Re: Half Marathon Tips?
Jim
CA

Total Posts: 640
5.7 Years Ago

Wow - No one willing to help huh?? I am not a great runner, but I have had to prepare for 1/2's as part of 1/2 IM training.

I am also training for a full marathon in October.

Now, we may have different goals, my goals are to finish the races without having to stop. Then, I will focus on my finishing times.

Is your goal to finish or compete? The training I would propose would be different for the two.

Jim

Seema
PA

Total Posts: 320
5.7 Years Ago

I really like Jeff Galloway's new 1/2 marathon book. I also have always liked Hal Higdon's training plans. You can find Galloway's training plans at www.runinjuryfree.com and higdon's at www.halhigdon.com. I find following the plans, with adjustments for my crazed lifestyle works well for me (I've run 8 full marathons and around 20 half marathons). Since you live at approx the same altitude, that shouldn't be a problem for you, otherwise I'd mention it. For your first race ever, I wouldn't worry too much about time, rather about training and finishing injury free and having enough fun that you want to do it again and again. By the way, I'm pretty slow, but like the longer distance runs. If you are competitive and looking to finish in the placings, my advice will be less useful.

Jim
CA

Total Posts: 640
5.7 Years Ago

OK -

This is more in line with what I do... Just to finish...

You may want to research Controitin and Glucosamine, these are suppose to help the knee joints, and usually take a while of supplementing with them before they build up.

I agree with Seem in terms of a plan. Most seem to build for 3 weeks ( no more that 110% of the previous time. (ie: you run one day for 30 minutes, next can be 33 minutes.

Then a recovery easy week before building again. Personally I like to get to the distance 2 weeks before on a training run. However, many believe getting up to 90% is fine. For me it is a mental thing, just to know I have done the distance before.

If it is a hilly course, you should work in some hills on your practice runs.

Best of luck!!!!

JC1.5

join fitness journal

corporate wellness

quicktime tour

contact us privacy statement terms of service sitemap recent press   © 2019 FitnessJournal, all rights reserved.
FitnessJournal and the FitnessJournal logo are among the trademarks or registered trademarks owned or licensed to FitnessJournal.
All other brand and product names are or may be trademarks of, and are used to identify products or service of, their respective owners.