FitnessJournal  
welcome take a tour prices join testimonials FAQs discussions corporate wellness contact us
Discussions > Sports > Climbing / Mountaineering

Re: Any climbers/mountaineers out there at all???
Michelle
WA

Total Posts: 60
6.7 Years Ago

Sorry, this will probably disappoint you, I am not a climber/mountaineerer but I am in your area. Interested in where you do your climbing though, and what your fitness routine is for it. MC

Chris
NH

Total Posts: 852
6.7 Years Ago

Hi Holly. I've done quite a bit of climbing up in Alaska, Shasta here in California, and Kilimanjaro in Africa. I know there are other climbers on here as well. Tell me a bit about your recent or upcoming climbs. I'd love to hear about it! To get us dreaming, I'm including a few images from past ascents.

[+] enlarge

Chris
NH

6.7 Years Ago

The snows of Kilimanjaro. Rock and Ice at the summit of Kili.

[+] enlarge

Chris
NH

6.7 Years Ago

Grabbing some peaks and snowboarding down, Hatchers Pass, Alaska

[+] enlarge

Chris
NH

6.7 Years Ago

350 feet of climbing, on Table Rock near Calistoga, CA

[+] enlarge

Chris
NH

6.7 Years Ago

My wife Francee, having a go at a climb on Mt Tam, San Francisco Bay Area

[+] enlarge

Chris
NH

6.7 Years Ago

Solo climb on Mt Shasta. What a great trip that was!

[+] enlarge

Loretta
TX

Total Posts: 214
6.7 Years Ago

I hike, not climb. I'm thinking of doing a bit of the appalachian. what mountains have you done?

Jim
CA

Total Posts: 640
6.7 Years Ago

Hey Holly -

Way to get something rolling with this. I recently logged a bunch of Mountaineersing, basically because I couldn't find an exercise equal to Backpacking for 46 miles mostly at or above tree line.

Our high point was only 11,000 ft, but driving from sea level, putting in 11 1st day miles, and hitting that altituse was enough to give me a slight bit of altitude sickness.

Chris - Love the Pic's, don't forget you promissed me a trip to Calistoga, that was sweet. But, that Mt. Tam pic of Francee? Get out of town that's not her.... ;o)

I did some nice climbs in Yosemite, but that was a good 5-6 years ago. Would love to spend a little more time climbing. Chris - Francee - any interest?

Jim

Jim
CA

6.7 Years Ago

I may be a bit off - I really don't know that much about mountaineering, other then getting used to steep hikes. Wear some gear or weights in a pack to simulate and get the body used to carrying extra pounds. Keeping your legs strong. I highly recommend walking sticks for balance and to reduce the wear and tear on your knees. Stair Master.

If you are doing only scrambling over rocks, then you can ignore the rest of this.

For rock climbing strong forearms are highly important. Rock climbing gets me sore in strange areas... hands, feet and forearms. So, doing a lot of hanging and grip exercises are highly important. Hang by all fingers, hang by 3 fingers, then by 2, and if you are real ambitious 1. Getting into a climbing gym 2-3 times per week will increase your strength. The pilates should help with flexibility to bend and reach holds. Get a coach for 1-2 days - technique has a huge influence and is more important than strength early on. Keep your weight low so you have a good strength to weight ratio.

I would love to know what type of training they have you do in with the mountaineers. So, keep us posted!

JC1.5

Jim
CA

6.7 Years Ago

Great - Sounds like you have a good base to build on.

JC1.5

Jim
CA

6.7 Years Ago

Hmmmmm, May be a problem with with an internal link as it seems to be login sensative...

join fitness journal

corporate wellness

quicktime tour

contact us privacy statement terms of service sitemap recent press   © 2019 FitnessJournal, all rights reserved.
FitnessJournal and the FitnessJournal logo are among the trademarks or registered trademarks owned or licensed to FitnessJournal.
All other brand and product names are or may be trademarks of, and are used to identify products or service of, their respective owners.