FitnessJournal  
welcome take a tour prices join testimonials FAQs discussions corporate wellness contact us
Discussions > Fitness Journal Help Desk > 2007 FJ Road Trip

Topic: FJ Road Trip Day 10 - Eastern Wyoming & South Dakota
Chris
NH

Total Posts: 852
6.9 Years Ago

We took the eastern route out of Yellowstone and got to explore the eastern part of Wyoming. On the way out of the park we saw a bear, buffalo, fox, snowy owl, moose, deer, and elk.

We took a sparsly travelled route called 14 alternate that travels over bald mountain. Whoa! This is a 10,000 foot peak you can drive to the top of. The drive actually made me nervous. It wasn't the road closed to all but local traffic sign, or the rocks in the road, or missing edges to the pavement due to washout. This road twists and turns at the most extreme 10 to 15 degrees with drop offs of as much as 2000 feet. I've never been scared to drive, ever. I found that in the dusk that I was actually nervous that I might have to turn around and go back down the same scary road I just came up.

There are snow fields are the summit, and a temp that dropped from 68F to 30F. The drive down is now on my list for the greatest decents I've ever seen. Imagine 25+ miles of perfect pavement twisting and turning all the way down the mountain.

Re: FJ Road Trip Day 10 - Eastern Wyoming & South Dakota
Chris
NH

6.9 Years Ago

Entering South Dakota brings Mt Rushmore. We had to stop. I was opposed but Francee talked me into it. All these pictures of the FJ Mobile in various places in the US is sort taking a picture of a garden nome as it makes its way around the country. To that end, we of course had to snap a photo with a Mt Rushmore background. I expect that these shots and locations may get more amusing as the miles pile on.

[+] enlarge

Chris
NH

6.9 Years Ago

Are you seeing dogs in the window? Yes. Along for the ride are two golden retrivers named Indy and Patrick. They are for the most part, well behaved and good travel companions. Here is a shot of Francee driving with the dogs in their typical driving pose.

[+] enlarge

Chris
NH

6.9 Years Ago

I just couldn't pass this up:

[+] enlarge

Jim
CA

Total Posts: 640
6.9 Years Ago

Well Chris - Did you bomb down it on your bike? The 25 miles of downhill that is...

I better not see mile after mile of road cycling, then come to realize that you were dropped and the top and just coasted all the descents!

There better be some climbing mixed in there as well..

I will be checking in with the champion of next years USJSR (United States Jet Ski Rodeo) aka Francee.

JC2

Chris
NH

6.9 Years Ago

I did not bike bald mountain this time, however its now on my list for the future, both up and down. Road trip anyone?

join fitness journal

corporate wellness

quicktime tour

contact us privacy statement terms of service sitemap recent press   © 2019 FitnessJournal, all rights reserved.
FitnessJournal and the FitnessJournal logo are among the trademarks or registered trademarks owned or licensed to FitnessJournal.
All other brand and product names are or may be trademarks of, and are used to identify products or service of, their respective owners.