FitnessJournal  
welcome take a tour prices join testimonials FAQs discussions corporate wellness contact us
Discussions > Miscellaneous > Random Chit Chat

Topic: 6 WEEK CHALLENGE 9/15/08-10/26/08: WEEK 2
Beverly
MO

Total Posts: 1509
5.7 Years Ago

Week one down the hatch. Another five to go. Do you have a plan? Are your goals posted in front of you (like JC1.5’s on his home page of FJ)?

In reading everyone’s posts this week, I am reminding myself of something I always used to say…Progress, not perfection. And thank goodness! I am sooooooo faaaaaaaar from perfect. So, I’ll use my example of how I utilized this great group. I’ve been sick, like no energy and sneezing, coughing sick (just the crud, nothing serious). Here I am, supposedly leading this group and not following my own goals…I didn’t walk every day…and my gosh, it was for only 20 minutes. Blah, blah, blah…. Sometime reality does set in and does interrupt. All my energy was spent covering for people at work (we own our own biz) and that’s where I was needed. I took care of myself by going to bed early and making sure I completed my other goals. Progress, not perfection. So did I fail? On one goal, yes. But overall this week I have moved forward and am getting some patterns re-established. This, I remind myself, is what this challenge is about…progress towards a goal or goals. Progress? Yes. Perfection? No. Am I the better for it? Indeed!

So tell us about your week, your ups and downs and what you can do for week 2 to keep moving forward.

Re: 6 WEEK CHALLENGE 9/15/08-10/26/08: WEEK 2
Jim
CA

Total Posts: 640
5.7 Years Ago

Prove him wrong Diane, and don't burn yourself out the first week.

I am hoping for an easier wk2. Wk1, combined with a financial crises in the US markets that spread to the worries around the world. This increased my work hours this week by about 30%, so I missed many of my goals.

However I was able to keep my eating plan until last night's party, but I am back on it today...

JC1.5

Re: Re: 6 WEEK CHALLENGE 9/15/08-10/26/08: WEEK 2
Steph

Total Posts: 262
5.7 Years Ago

Well I've been quite pleased with myself this week. I've managed to do quite a lot more than the 60 mins exercise target I set, so I want to continue with that. I've definitely been drinking my quota but have to admit that it's still included more tea than water at work (although I have been drinking a lot of water too!). Hit the calorie mark but not the variety of fruit and veg that I normally do so I need to work on that this week - though that was more due to finances than choosing not to (but it's payday this week!!)

Had a rest day today, went to my mum's for lunch and had ice cream and cake - but life is for living isn't it!!! Monday is weigh day for me, so will see how that goes. I am trying to wean myself off the scales though and concentrate more on how I feel and how my clothes fit. Plan on measuring myself on a monthly basis to see if that shows a difference!

Week 2 - bring it on!!!!! :)

Steph

Steph

5.7 Years Ago

Morning everyone.

Good start to week 2 - went running (boy how I didn't want to get out of bed!) and then did 40 mins of upper body strength training when I got back. Used a new plan so I can really feel it in my muscles today! Well that's my 60 mins + of exercise - just need to drink my water and get to bed early tonight now!!

Have a good week everyone.

Steph

Scott
MI

Total Posts: 657
5.7 Years Ago

Finally felt good enough to go for a bike ride yesterday. Was doing great until my handle bars wiggled loose :( ended up walking a mile pushing a bike before I was picked up. Got about 8 miles biked before the breakdown. Cut the grass and watched some football before fixing the bike and going out for a more leisurely bike ride with my fiance for 7 miles. I've got school today so no PT for me. Tomorrow I hope to get on the bike again and then have tennis on Wednesday. If tennis goes well I may see about running 2-3 miles and see how my legs feel. This may be a bit of a long shot but hoping to run a 5k Oct. 4th. We'll see how therapy goes before I do too much running though. Have a great week everyone!

Scott

CafeLA
CA

Total Posts: 53
5.7 Years Ago

Hey everyone! It's been great to read the enthusiastic postings of such a motivated group. Here's how I did in week one.

1. Eliminate junk food!!! - eliminate is not the right word but I did manage to reduce junk food by 80%

2. Maintain my high level of cycling. - I rode about 125 miles last week.

3. Run twice a week. - Yep!!!

4. Do strength & core workouts twice a week. - Nope!!! (not even 1)

5. Eat healthier - I paid much more attention to my meal selections this week.

6. In bed by 10:00 pm 5 nights a week - Yep

So all-in-all, not a bad start. Thanks for the electronic team spirit. I hope everyone has a great week.

Vicky
VA

Total Posts: 53
5.7 Years Ago

OK so last week got a little messed up due to school work and applying for jobs and grad schools. Hopefully this week I can get more on track!! I did take advantage of Sunday and ran 3 miles, walked 1 mile, and did a weight class at night.

Here is my plan for this week:

Monday: Cycling class at night

Tuesday: Pilates in the morning, and possibly a walk before work

Wed: Walk/light run in the morning, powerlift and cycling at night

Thur: Yoga in the morning, and possibly a walk before work

Friday: Run in the morning, Zumba class and step class later

Sat: Run in the morning, yogalates class later

Sunday: light run/walk early, powerlift in the evening.

We will see how this all works out.

Have a great week everyone.

Beverly
MO

5.7 Years Ago

Hi! This week is a big one for us...our first ever Nationals with our Giant Schnauzer. There will be about 75 of these critters there. Crazy. I'm showing him 6 times. Was knocked silly by this head cold. Still hanging on a bit but much better. Who knows, maybe we'll get our walks in~YEAH! So today is another new beginning. Let's make this week a great one :)

Steph

5.7 Years Ago

Sounds to me like everyone's in the right frame of mind again this week!!! That's great!!! We all deserve a pat on the back already!! :) Targets are targets - something to aim for so keep trying everyone!!

Steph

Pat
IN

Total Posts: 32
5.7 Years Ago

Hi everyone,

I have had the same kind of head cold as you Beverly. It does knock ya for a loop. I did the race for the cure Sunday and I was drizzling rain that didn't help my cold at all but we had such a good time I think it was worth it.

I did manage to get in 3 days of walking/biking and 2 days of pilates. My eating wasn't so great, that is by far my biggest downfall. Water so so. Hopefully next week will be better.

Jane
MT

Total Posts: 59
5.7 Years Ago

Hello All -

I am so encouraged when I read all the "real life" stuff people have going on and yet they aren't going to let it totally side-track their goals.

I did get my 3 walks in last week like I planned, even though I didn't get to do them when and where I thought I would. I also made two observations about myself this past week. #1 - I find that I'm starting to wake up earlier in the morning than I usually do, so I'm trying to get that worked into my "routine". #2 - I keep hearing myself say, "I don't have time for...." That revelation means I need to just start scheduling for some of those things that are important to me and weeding out some of those things that are time busters.

So - while I didn't make great stride in the exercise and eating categories, I'm confident I'm on the right road. And, of course, with all this wonderful support - how could I possibly go wrong?

Week #2 - Bigger and Better!!

Steve
TN

Total Posts: 80
5.7 Years Ago

Week 1 was a start! I didn't do as well as I would have liked due to a trip to see the Ryder Cup! I took my 83 year old mother on her dream trip and as a result, my week long plans were cramped. My best feature was my diet as it was the most manageable aspect of my goals.

Week 2 will be different as I will hone in on my goals. Took yesterday off to catch back up @ work, but I did get in 4 miles in 48 min. this morning. Just need to watch my diet today and make sure of my H2O consumption.

The Ryder Cup reminded me of our group! Individuals who come together as a team towards a common goal. When one of the players performed not up to his potential, other members and the team captains were there to encourage and pick him up. Very similar to what we are trying to do.

If you didn't measure up, this week is a new start! Decisions made today will affect the rest of the week. Make good decsions today!

Good Luck to All!

Steve

Tania
ON

Total Posts: 51
5.7 Years Ago

I felt like I've been MIA for the last bit!

Week one ended a little badly considering I was sick Fri/Sat; to top that all off I'm not sure if I mentioned that I hadn't been good with my wieghtlifting and my arms couldn't bend for a bit! I think they are 100% now so I'm going to be starting back in and my health is good enough to start back into exercising again.

My goals for last week:

1. water - pretty good for the most part, can still improve

2. lose 5 lbs in 6 wks - I'm down to 147! I didn't have a starting weight since my scale needed new batteries, but I assumed I was 149, so that might be 2 lbs I lost!! I don't expect such significant change from the following weeks as I think a lot of it just has to do with water loss, but I'm happy i'm making progress!!

3. walk 20 mins a day with the dog 6 x a week - very good, just skipped Saturday since I was pretty much in bed the entire day sick

4. 60 minutes training 5 days/week - needs to improve!!!! only "good" days were monday and wednesday, and thursday should have been more than what I did. Being sick didn't help, but only progressing from here!!

5. Fruits and Veggies - I have definitely improved from the past on this, but there's always room for more!!

6. wake up 6:45 and bed by 11:00... um I think only one or two days were good. I should really focus on this one this week.

And just a side note.... (that's actually more motivation for me to do well now) is my boyfriend PROPOSED TO ME this weekend!!!!!!!!! I wasn't expecting it for another couple years (he had been "tricking" me) so it was a big surprise!! SO some more motivation to lose the 30 lbs I want to for next September!

Beverly
MO

5.6 Years Ago

OMGOSH you guys...earlier I drove a 29' (8.8m) motorhome. Talk about feeling huge! It's parked and set up on the hill overlooking the rings of the show. Already a few Giant Schnauzers are there. This is going to be cool. I'm back home and just came up from the basement, our grooming area, and my boy is looking good. There's so much I don't know and so much to learn! Now it's time for our walk. Thanks for the good wishes! ~Beverly

PS I hope those of you with the crud are feeling better.

Ann
MI

Total Posts: 92
5.6 Years Ago

How is it that this crud was contagious between us? Kind of like the group picture we want to submit to Chris, huh?

Koff, koff.

Taking a day off today from all efforts until I'm feeling better.

You all sound like you are doing great! More after I'm back at it.

Ingrid
SK

Total Posts: 101
5.6 Years Ago

Well, week one is in the can. Not a bad week for me. I rode my bike to work every day I that I could. Today the pedal fell off my bike, so it is in the shop. I am hoping it will be ready to pick up tomorrow.

I did well with the running, and not bad with the eating and my foodjournal. I was down 3.4 lbs at weigh in tonight , so I hope to keep it going.

The weather is beautiful right now,so it will be easy to get out and get some exercise in.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Ingrid

Scott
MI

Total Posts: 657
5.6 Years Ago

Feeling rather optimistic this week. My injury rarely bothers me. Still not going to run till Sunday at the earliest. I do plan on playing some low intensity tennis tonight and then maybe kick it into a higher gear with a bike ride again. Have two short rides in so far this week. (7-9 miles each)If the weather stays nice I'll get a few more in yet this week. Looking ahead to Saturday, I have to be up early for my ride as we have a wedding to attend in the city and it'll turn out to be an all day event. Happy Hump day folks! Enjoy whats left of the week!!

Scott

Ann
MI

Total Posts: 92
5.6 Years Ago

A bit of inspiration this morning!

There is a woman from my neighborhood who I see while walking. She's mother to maybe 7 kids, probably in her late 40's, and she doesn't look like an athlete by any means--'mom-shaped' and quite a slow runner. This morning I complimented her as she passed me on how well she's doing. She replied, proud and out of breath, that she's been working on this since April, and can now run for a solid hour!

Is that awesome or what? Go girl, go! What a wonderful personal challenge! Made me want to work harder, for sure!

Jane
MT

Total Posts: 59
5.6 Years Ago

Oh, Ann - Thanks for sending on the encouraging word. Sometimes we tend to think the little things don't make much difference.

I have been more diligent so far this week with getting my walks in and I can sure tell the difference - not just physically, but mentally. I'm also getting some really good tips from all the people on this challenge. Thank you for the ideas - and the encouragement. A bad day does not constitute failure. Hurray!!

See you on the weekend!!

Tania
ON

Total Posts: 51
5.6 Years Ago

Thanks everyone for the wishes!! Its almost amazing how much this new event is imparting on my mind -- I am so much less prone to eating for my mood since I'm so happy and feel mentally refreshed! It might change later if there's a lot of stress around, but i'm liking it now!

Ann -- that story is so inspiring! It's definitely going to be in the back of my mind every time I'm out trying to improve my running

Angie, me and my fiance have a problem with eating "rich" foods too (we are food lovers) -- I've had to change my portion sizes now when eating them. Not that it "looked" like I was eating a lot before, but I only eat a VERY small portion now based on the calories of the dish. We have also compromised that we try cooking better at home and more at home and less eating out (helps on saving for the wedding too now!). Still not at what some people would call "healthy" since some dishes still have highfat meats, oils, rich cheeses, but we add in LOTS of veggies to end up reducing the calories that you eat when you take what seems to be the same amount of food.

I'm not sure if this is only a personal thing, but I also am more satisfied with less food when there are good spices in the food, or the natural flavours come out really well. Not necessarily "hot" spices, but things that add flavor. I have a problem of tending to eat until my palette is satisfied rather than my stomach.

As for activity this week so far, Monday was a write off, Tuesday was my day off (band practice) and yesterday it was busy too with my father-in-law to be in town, but when he left I did go for a run (I'm up to 26 minutes with two 2-min walking breaks) which I'm happy I got in.

Steph

5.6 Years Ago

Wow - everyone is really soooooo motivated!! Each day is a new day so we just learn from the old day and don't beat ourselves up about it - we certainly can't change it!!!

For me, this week went really well to start off with - well right up until today really. I've had to go to the hospital today as I've got an infection in my eye - I was driving to work yesterday and had to pull over to the side of the road because I couldn't see!! It was very frightening!!! I didn't go running today because I didn't know what was causing it and didn't want to do anything that might make it worse! Luckily it's not too serious and I've got different kinds of dorps to put in, so I'll be back running tomorrow.....so I've had the contagious crud but in a different form!!!!

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Steph

Oh - and congratulations Tania!!!

Steph

5.6 Years Ago

You can do it Diane!!! Actually did some strength training this morning for 40 mins and also went on the exercise bike for 35 mins. So I'm back on track, had my water, etc and slept in so had my 8 hours!!

Bob
TX

Total Posts: 805
5.6 Years Ago

Well since April 7, 2005 when I joined FJ, I have traveled a mile of miles. 5,281.6 miles to date. My secret goal....shh don't tell Chris, is to complete all of his maps before he can put up another one. On the downside, I found out on Friday (my birthday 52) that 6 hours isn't quite enough sleep to get you through 21 miles. Ended up walking a lot of the last 4 but a 14:48 average pace was about right with the temperature like it was. Feet bottoms as usual are sore as well as lower back. The plan is to attempt 23 in two weeks. That should get me back on the schedule I'm using. Then it will be long runs every third weekend.

Beverly, my wife before we were married learned to drive a big long horse trailer. She was taught to put her hands at the bottom of the steering wheel and then which ever way she wanted the back of the trailer to go, to move her hands in that direction. I guess we might be seeing you on an upcoming episode of Worlds Toughest Jobs???

Steph

5.6 Years Ago

TJ - sometimes life intervenes to knock us off track, but you're right - don't focus on what didn't go well but look forward and think about how you're going to deal with your targets!

Dani - the yoga and charity walk sound good - well done!!! Did you enjoy the walk? They usually end up being great fun don't they.

Diane - you can only do what you can do!! Even if you're at your mum's, you can do strength training and go for walks - you don't get off that easily!!!! Keep at it!!

As for outrunning the map before Chris puts another one on - I'm sooo impressed!!! I've hardly done anything compared to you - maybe I should add that to my targets, but I think it may take a little longer than 6 weeks!!! I want one for the UK - are you listening Chris!!!!!

Well this morning I went for a run for 50 mins and then did strength training for 45 mins - that's my exercise target sorted then!!! Went to bed later last night but didn't get up quite so early this morning as I've got an eye infection and can't drive - no work for me today then!!! Had more than half of my water already, so well on target for that.

Have a good day everyone and here we go for week 3!!!

Steph

join fitness journal

corporate wellness

quicktime tour

contact us privacy statement terms of service sitemap recent press   © 2019 FitnessJournal, all rights reserved.
FitnessJournal and the FitnessJournal logo are among the trademarks or registered trademarks owned or licensed to FitnessJournal.
All other brand and product names are or may be trademarks of, and are used to identify products or service of, their respective owners.