FitnessJournal  
welcome take a tour prices join testimonials FAQs discussions corporate wellness contact us
Discussions > Miscellaneous > Random Chit Chat

Topic: 6 WEEK CHALLENGE 9/15/08-10/26/08: WEEK 6!!!!!!!!!
Beverly
MO

Total Posts: 1509
5.6 Years Ago

So how was your week 5? How is your week 6 going to be? Although much of which life hands us is out of our control, there’s one thing that is within our control. Our attitude. We choose it. We have the power to decide. “Yeah, but….” No. "But my...." No. We have the power to decide. I have the power. You have the power. And power it indeed is. It’s not to say you won’t feel ‘down’ sometimes, or angry or whatever. But you choose to continue the feeling or focus on something else. Focus on something else. That’s right. You can choose. Choose wisely; the quality of your life depends on it.

Let us know how you’re doing! And for those of you out there considering joining the challenge, c’mon! You can use this final week of the current challenge to ramp up to the next. Any thoughts on what we could do (continue to do or do differently) to get us through the first half + of the holiday season that shall begin? It’s all about the progress people, not perfection.

This is the last week of the challenge...work it, work it, work it!

Re: 6 WEEK CHALLENGE 9/15/08-10/26/08: WEEK 6!!!!!!!!!
Steve
TN

Total Posts: 80
5.6 Years Ago

Great week for me! Alot of H2O, 6 days of running, the most mileage for a week this year! My only downfall this week was a detour from my diet at work yesterday! Too much pizza!!! My week's gains may have been leveled by that binge. But as Beverly says - things happen!

This week will be a carbon copy as last week's with 2 exceptions : 1. My personal trainer is back from vacation and I will get in 2 sessions with him! 2. There will be no binges!!

Let's finish up this 6 week challenge stong and with good habits to lead us into the next 6 weeks!

Good Luck to all!!!

Steve

Jane
MT

Total Posts: 59
5.6 Years Ago

Actually I did a little better in the exercise area than I thought I had - I didn't realize it until I went to record it. The calories consummed this week were way out of line, but I think that was anticipation of my colonoscopy next week. I do not look foreward to that at all.

Once I get past that dreadful test, I can get more focused on finishing my 6th week strong and energized. I'm really beginning to see the full value of logging what's going on. It helps you see the pitfalls, but it also helps remind you of the successes.

Oh, Bob, thanks for the recipe - I may give it a try for Thanksgiving when I have other around to help eat it.

Off to a gloreous, sunshiny day - I hope you all have a great weekend. Jane

Jim
CA

Total Posts: 640
5.6 Years Ago

Hi all -

I haven't been much of a team player as of late, and I am certainly in a bit of a funk. These 12 to 16 hour days are wiping me out!!

I have been basically exercising 3 times a week. 2 bike rides and basketball. I have been getting in at least 1 yoga a week as well. Not on goal, but it is alot of effort anyway.

JC1.5

Ann
MI

Total Posts: 92
5.6 Years Ago

I'm doing pretty well, still maintaining the exercise routine of walking about 20 miles a week, and strength-training 3X per week.

I feel as if I'm still not working hard enough on the food. I was doing a really good job, watching my protein, carbs, fiber, and eating to avoid processed foods, but have slipped on that a bit. I've gained 1.5 lbs, and I know it's crept up because I'm slacking. (My gosh! Who put this giant slab of fresh, homemade bread in my hand and slathered it with butter? Was it me?) No surprise there!

But I don't necessarily consider this a setback, it's just a consequence of my actions. I know if I make other choices, the weight will come off again. It would be a good idea to get it under control before a tiny gain becomes a larger hurdle. And if you're over 40, it IS harder to get this lard to budge!

So, week 6, I really, really mean to get this back under control!

Really.

Beverly
MO

5.6 Years Ago

Thought I'd check in with my week. I'm impressed with those of you who are at least getting movement in! Mine has been extremely limited. I think I've figured it out a bit too...for years I got up early and worked out. My brain tells me I don't work out at night! This means I've got to rethink my actions (haha, did I mean inactions?) or rethink my rising time in the a.m. Water ok, food so-so but it's the inactivity that's kicking my behind (and therefore spreading it out!). And, like Dani, I've questioned why not be ok with the inactivity? My answer...long-term health. I've seen what inactivity can do to family members as they age. I know how good I've felt when moving. So this should be a big ol' DUH!!!! for me. It's too late for this morning but I can get up and take the pup for a walk tomorrow morning. No thinking about it, just do it. That is my commitment for today. I'm going to have to do a daily check in like Kathylyn did for a while here! And, today isn't over. I'm at work but still have afterward~ I'll keep you posted.

And now for a message from our sponsor...

OK people...where the heck are you dear ones? You think it's tough to check in now...wait till the holidays. Are you committed or what? This is a team thing like JC1.5 said. We are here for our personal goals but also to check in (even if you don't have much to say). The idea here is to stay connected...just once a week. Once a week, OMGOSH how hard is that? Only 3 people haven’t logged in to FJ for over 20 days and our thoughts are with them in the hope that all is well with them.

We’re in week 6 of 6. Are you all serious about this group and do you want to continue it for another 6 weeks? Let me know. If here if you are.

Pat
IN

Total Posts: 32
5.6 Years Ago

Last week I did pretty well with exercise but the eating is out of control. I have a lot going on right now and when I get stressed I eat.

I am waiting for the next 6 weeks and hope to do a little better.

Again thanks Beverly for keeping us going.

Loretta
TX

Total Posts: 214
5.6 Years Ago

Kathlyn, you are soooo right. I vote yes. let's plan to be healthy. I'm definitely healthier than when I joined FJ, but I've got a ways to go.

Beverly, I heard a very non-morning person tell me it's just as hard to get up at 5 as it is at 7. I hope you get up. I'm a'gonna try it. I'll let you know if I do.

Loretta

wendy
MN

Total Posts: 100
5.6 Years Ago

1. Water good

2. Resting and staying loose, good

3. Weight loss. Ok.

4. Marathon.DONE.

I did it. 26.2 miles, yesterday, in Des Moines, IA. I only wanted to finish, and that I did. It was great! I can't wait for the next one. Looking forward to the next 6 week challenge. I will be focusing more on weight loss, and excercise, but will not be training for a marathon. (at least no yet.)

Beverly
MO

5.6 Years Ago

Ok people...I'm on a trend (2 days in a row...on a roll I think takes 3 days). Did get my pup's walk in after work and we got up this morning (fyi Loretta, thanks) for another 25 minutes. Progress, right? We really need not compare what we used to do to what we are doing now because it is the now that we have any chance of impacting. Focus on the good!

Way to go Wendy!! I'd love to hear details girl, details! Like what you were feeling at what mile and such and so. I've never run a marathon so I'd love to hear about it.

Tania
ON

Total Posts: 51
5.6 Years Ago

Hi all,

I'm definitely in a funk here. I haven't even stepped on the scale in the last week because I don't want to know that I've gained all my weight I lost back. This time of year is the hardest for me when it starts getting cold and the days start getting shorter! The early darkness doesn't want me to leave my house. Gotta change something major because trying to workout after a long day at work isn't working.

I'm definitely in for the next 6 weeks considering that this 6 weeks was literally just a bump in the road for me. Gotta stay focused on my goals and make better plans. I'll try and make this last week count too.

wendy
MN

Total Posts: 100
5.6 Years Ago

Hi thanks for all the positive comments. I posted my marathon under the "first Marathon" section of events. I love reading all your posts. You are all very motivating. Even when we are "in a funk" we some how motivate each other.

Loretta
TX

5.6 Years Ago

yea Wendy! No, Beverly, I didn't make it out the door early this morning either, but gonna take my shoes and try to make it walking for the third evening this week. Now, Ya'll...I'm not complaining, please don't think I am, but I'm verbalizing that I am on a plateau. Thinking I'm doing good but the scale not saying I'm burning more than I'm eathing. So, now, I've got to push through it and do a little bit better. Won't take doing much different to move the darn thing a bit. Have a great day.

Loretta

Bob
TX

Total Posts: 805
5.6 Years Ago

Congratulations Wendy on your marathon. I read your account and you have a lot of perseverance. There were many things I could relate to when I have finished. The blister on the feet that looks like a lava lamp, the stomach problems and the encouragement of your family and friends cheering you on. I'll bet you'll do another one.

Loretta, As a morning person let me say that it's still hard to get up a 3 as it is 5.

Beverly, This time of year is also hard for Sharon and me. We both lost a parent within two weeks of each other this month and even though it has been many years since, we still find ourselves (me more so this year) less patient, more easily frustrated and angry. Of course it always comes at an inopportune time because of my training. I have a very hard time getting motivated, pretty much throw all diet plans out the window and don't care about being careful with regards to injuries. The marathon is December 14 so hopefully I'll get back on the horse and still have time to get a few miles in. I have looked at my goals that I set at the beginning of the year and it looks like now I will be 0 for 3.

Ann
MI

Total Posts: 92
5.6 Years Ago

I've used FJ for almost a year now, and it's made a huge difference in how well I've done in sticking with my exercise and health goals. Part of the 'sticktoitiveness' has been because I've participated in Challenges. The accountability and support have been great! I really love to hear how everyone else is doing, whether they are giving that wretched scale a time out, or running a marathon. Thanks for sharing, Challenge buddies!

Yes, Beverly, count me in for another 6 Weeks!

Scott
MI

Total Posts: 657
5.6 Years Ago

Hi there, fashionably latechecking in for the week. Hoping to snap outta my funk soon. There has been no will to do anything as of late aside from eat, drink, and sleep. and work inbetween...

haven't walked the dog

No bike rides

No runs

greasy food/alcohol

yeah, not good... sooner than later I'll snap out of it... Enjoy whats left of the weekend everyone! Looking forward to snapping outta the funk in the next challenge :D

Scott

Jane
MT

Total Posts: 59
5.6 Years Ago

Hi All -

Ditto to all the above comments.

I too enjoy hearing about the good, the bad and the ugly - it keeps us in touch with the real world. When I see others struggling, I don't feel like such a failure, but then when I see someone has completed a marathon, I get a renewed hope that I can overcome some of my own obstacles.

Now that I'm done with my medical test - I feel strong and ready to set a little higher goals for myself. That said, I'm in for another 6 weeks challenge also. I want to get some sort of routine figured out - some things I've tried have worked; others haven't - but I don't want to just throw in the towel because it's a CHALLENGE!! I want to persevere and overcome and come out feeling like a champion over something.

For the rest of the week:

Drink my water daily

Go for a walk on Thursday and Friday (can't on Saturday because my daughter's coming)

Journal my food

Get proper rest.

I'll let you know on Sunday how I fared. Good luck to you all - and, Beverly, thanks again for all your encouragement and willingness to keep us rounded up. TTYL Jane

Beverly
MO

5.6 Years Ago

Excellent remarks Jane on perseverance!

Scott, Tania and any others facing the funk...it's a proven thing this time of year. Make sure you get yourself out there in the sun as much as possible to help counteract!!!

Loretta
TX

5.6 Years Ago

I'll be in Austin all next week so I want to report my challenge results just a bit early

miles 90.1

I've been drinking a bit less water than my best, but much better than with the encouragement of FJ.

enjoyed walking around white rock lake.

one wonderful hiking trip (half of the miles are hiking)

weight currently at 142 - I think I started the challenge at 145. so that's good.

Next week will be a real challenge in meetings, dinners, alcohol.... I'll try to get in 10 glasses of water and some exercise every day.

Loretta

Stacy
TX

Total Posts: 28
5.6 Years Ago

Recently joined FJ and love it! I've had my ups and downs, but according to a good friend..."It's the long haul that makes the difference!" So...getting back on track and increasing my exercise this week...I would love to join in for the new 6 Week Challenge!!

Tania
ON

Total Posts: 51
5.6 Years Ago

Well my week 6 didn't go so well either - a car accident on Wednesday might kind of set me all off track. No injuries on this side, and minor on the other, but still very unnerving as it was my first car accident ever! I also witnessed a bad one yesterday which kinda put me in perspective. So i'm in much better spirits and motivation to start the next 6 week challenge!

join fitness journal

corporate wellness

quicktime tour

contact us privacy statement terms of service sitemap recent press   © 2019 FitnessJournal, all rights reserved.
FitnessJournal and the FitnessJournal logo are among the trademarks or registered trademarks owned or licensed to FitnessJournal.
All other brand and product names are or may be trademarks of, and are used to identify products or service of, their respective owners.